This level was originally made for a project called The Ninth Gate that I was working on with Pablo Dictter, Tobias Münch, Damian Lee and Karthik. The idea was to make a set of levels inspired by Episode 4 of The Ultimate Doom — basically maps with lots of wood/marble in them. We never got around to finishing it though (blame real life and laziness), so we have now decided to release the finished levels individually.
Most of this level was made during 2001-03 with DoomCAD (yes!), so the architecture is pretty simple, though detailed. The exit area was made with Doom Builder. No new graphics, except a titlepic. The level music is from Duke Nukem 3D, the other tracks were composed by Damian Lee (originally for The Ninth Gate). It plays on E4M1, and you need a limit-removing port like ZDoom to play it. Oh and since most of you, dear readers, are non-Doomers and will probably never play this, I'm going to be a little generous with the screenshots so that you can at least see what it looks like —
- Pablo Dictter and Karthik - Thanks a lot guys for the feedback and for playtesting this level on the lower skills.
- Doug "Opulent" Merrill - It was awesome to see somebody other than me playing this on UV. The demos were mighty useful. Thanks!
- Damian Lee - The music tracks rule! Especially the endgame MIDI.
- Joel Murdoch - For no particular reason. You can stop coughing now BTW.
- [ 03/08/07 ] - Review of "The Outer Darkness" on The Outpost of Doom II (thanks a lot for the review Ismaele!)
- [ 03/08/07 ] - Update on NewDoom.com
- [ 02/08/07 ] - Update on Doomworld.com (thanks all for the comments!)
- [ 02/08/07 ] - Karthik writes about The Outer Darkness